Addiction Treatment for Teens
Compassionate, expert help can open a bright new world for teens.
At a Glance
An integrated treatment plan
addressing substance use and mental health issues to ensure the best possible outcomes
Gender-specific living spaces and programs
offering safety and confidentiality so patients can concentrate
Programs and services
dedicated to maintaining the teen's academic goals
enabling the whole family to recover and move forward
in ways that lead to optimal emotional health for everyone
Highly credentialed staff psychologists
leading the program
Highlights of the Teen Program
Caron’s Teen Program, located at the Pennsylvania treatment center, treats mental health issues and substance use for teens (ages 13-18), giving them the direction and support they need to build a foundation for long-term recovery.
Our goal for our young patients is to help them build a foundation for long-term health and wellness. Whether this is a patient’s first time in treatment or they’ve tried another program, we’re here to support them and their family until they’re whole again.
Our empathetic staff uses their depth and breadth of experience to uncover the root causes of a teen’s behaviors and employs proven methods to treat them.
Clinical excellence and uncompromising patient-centric care are the cornerstones of Caron’s core programming, which includes the Teens Program. With more than 65 years of treating substance use disorder and process addictions, Caron emphasizes Recovery for Life and provides teens we treat with lifetime support. We view substance use disorder as a chronic treatable brain disease that requires a long-term management plan.
- Anger issues.
- Body image issues.
- Interpersonal conflict or peer relationship challenges.
- Family conflict/problems.
- Mood disorders.
- Self-injurious behaviors.
- Sexual issues.
We combine proven evidence-based therapies like motivational interviewing (MI), cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
with recovery principles to address all aspects of optimal wellness.
For Young Men
The need to establish their own identity creates both problems and opportunities. Caron’s specialized treatment teams are prepared to help young men as they seek to find ways to develop a healthy masculine image.
For Young Women
Many young women struggling with a substance use disorder have an elevated need for connection. Being in a gender-specific program allows relationships to grow, risks to be taken, and therapeutic work to take place. In having a safe and private space in which they can share their stories honestly and openly with their peers, young women can begin to create a way forward to long-term health and healing.
Foundational Treatment Elements
Caron’s Teen Program incorporates a variety of treatment elements, including:
- Firm boundaries and expectations.
- Safe environment.
- Detox at an on-site, state-of-the-art medical facility under the supervision of medical professionals.
- Thorough physical and mental health assessments.
- Screening, specialized counseling, and education for compulsive behaviors, such as gambling or sex.
- Dedicated, interdisciplinary treatment experts, including licensed psychologists and psychiatrists, highly credentialed behavioral health therapists, nurse practitioners, registered dietitians, health and wellness experts, and spiritual leaders.
- Core group and individual counseling.
- Developing responsibility, self-esteem, and life skills.
- On-site education and academic coaching individualized to each teen’s goals.
- Family therapy and education.
- Holistic therapies, like creative and physical activities.
- Bolstered recreational/adventure activities.
- Introduction to recovery support, including AA, NA, Recovery Dharma, SMART Recovery, and Celebrate Recovery.
- Relapse prevention skills.
The healthy therapeutic relationship we provide at Caron is one of the most important factors in our patients’ recovery. It’s not easy to talk to someone you just met about substance use and difficult life experiences. We give them a safe, trusted space in which they can do that."
Our expert team understands teens' developmental and treatment needs.
Dr. Christopher Grant, Psy. D
Clinical Supervisor of Teen and Young Adult Male Services
Erin Goodhart, LPC, CAADC, CMAT, CSAT, ACRPS, CCS, CPT Provider
Executive Director of Core Programming, Pennsylvania
Reinforcement for a Life in Recovery
- An aftercare plan developed by the treatment team includes tools and recommendations for recovery upon returning home.
- Access to services like Caron's alumni support activities provide a peer community and guidance.
- My Recovery Connection offers additional support and accountability.
Outpatient programs at Caron’s outpatient treatment and recovery centers in Wyomissing, PA, Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, and New York also offer continuing care options.