Caron’s transformational treatment for substance use and mental health disorders opens bright futures for teens.
At a Glance
Integrated treatment plans
address both substance use and mental health.
Gender-specific living spaces
and programs offer safety and confidentiality.
Academic programs and services
support each patient’s educational goals.
Highlights of the Teen Program
Caron’s Teen Program, located on the Pennsylvania campus, treats mental health issues and substance use for teens (ages 13-18), giving them the direction and support they need to build a foundation for long-term recovery. Our empathetic staff uses their depth and breadth of experience to uncover the root causes of a teen’s behaviors and employs proven methods to treat them.
Clinical excellence and uncompromising patient-centric care are the cornerstones of Caron’s core programming, which includes the Teens Program. With more than 60 years of treating substance use disorder and process addictions, Caron emphasizes Recovery for Life and provides teens we treat with lifetime support. We view substance use disorder as a chronic treatable brain disease that requires a long-term management plan.
Specialized Programming for Teens
While the most common issues we deal with are substance use with anxiety, ADHD, trauma, and depression, our team of medical and mental health professionals can also help teens with these co-occurring conditions and behaviors:
- Anger Issues.
- Body Image Issues.
- Family conflict/problems.
- Mood disorders.
- Self-injurious behaviors, including cutting.
- Sexual issues.
We combine proven evidence-based therapies like cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), cognitive processing therapy (CPT), dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), and eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) with 12-Step principles to address all aspects of optimal wellness.
For Young Men
Caron’s specialized treatment teams help young men as they seek to find ways to develop a healthy masculine image. In gender-specific groups, they can relate to one another and feel supported to deal with issues related to:
- Cross addictions.
- Entitlement and narcissism.
- Anger management.
For Young Women
Many young women struggling with a substance use disorder have an elevated need for connection. At Caron, we give them a safe space to develop those connections as they address issues like:
- Anger, depression, and anxiety.
- Self-injurious behaviors.
- Body image.
Foundational Treatment Elements
Caron’s Teen Program incorporates a variety of treatment elements, including:
- Thorough assessments of a patient’s physical and mental health and medical history to develop an individualized treatment plan.
- Detoxification at an on-site, state-of-the-art medical facility under the supervision of medical professionals.
- A safe environment.
- Core group and individual counseling as well as peer counseling.
- Firm boundaries and expectations.
- Developing responsibility, self-esteem and life skills.
- Screening, specialized counseling, and education for addiction interaction disorders, such as gambling, sex, or eating disorders, which can become chronic and progressive if left unidentified and untreated.
- Attention to physical activity, including access to our on-site, fully equipped fitness center.
- Bolstered recreational/adventure activities.
- Therapeutic activities, including physical activity and creative work.
- Introduction to the 12-Steps both on campus and off-site.
- Relapse prevention skills.
The healthy therapeutic relationship we provide at Caron is one of the most important factors in our patients’ recovery. It’s not easy to talk to someone you just met about substance use and difficult life experiences. We give them a safe, trusted space in which they can do that."
Our expert team understands teens' developmental and treatment needs.
Erin Goodhart, CAADC, CSAT, CCS, LPC, CMAT, ACRPS, CPT Provider
Sr. Clinical Director of Women's Services
Luke Stopper, CCS, MPA, CACD
Senior Clinical Director of Young Men’s Services and First Responders
Daniel A. Debiec, MA, CAADC, CSAT, LPC, CMAT
Clinical Supervisor – Young Adult Male Program
Reinforcement for a Life in Recovery
- A continuing care plan developed by the treatment team includes tools and recommendations for recovery when your teen returns home.
- Free services like Caron's alumni support activities provide a peer community and guidance for a full year after your teen is discharged.
- My First Year of Recovery, an individualized therapeutic support and monitoring program, offers additional support and accountability.
- Outpatient programs at Caron’s outpatient treatment and recovery centers in Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., Atlanta, and New York also offer continuing care options.