Building physical and mental strength through fitness and nutrition contribute to a healthy recovery.
At a Glance
Dietitians and nutritionists provide
counseling, education, and consultation.
Accommodations for food
preferences, restrictions, and special diets can be made.
On-campus fitness and exercise
facilities are available.
Off-campus outdoor activities accompanied by staff
restore and renew mind, body, and spirit.
Highlights of Physical Wellness
Recovery encompasses care and attention to the whole person—mind, body, and spirit. Fitness and nutrition are critical components of achieving physical health and supporting balanced emotional health.
Nutrition Education and Counseling at Caron
During treatment, many patients may discover they have disordered eating habits and body image issues. Counseling and guidance are necessary for their treatment and recovery process. Because nutrition is critical to physical and mental health, educating patients about proper diet and nutrition is a part of our treatment plans. Our dietitians and nutritionists provide:
- Education and nutrition counseling, if clinically indicated to treat eating disorders.
One-on-one nutrition consultations to provide guidance for healthy eating.
Caron Pennsylvania and Caron Renaissance have group and individual nutrition sessions as clinically indicated.
Caron Ocean Drive holds individual sessions for patients with a nutritionist and/or medical professional on staff. Our on-staff chefs take a personalized approach to meal preparation, accounting for personal preferences, requests, allergies, and other dietary needs.
Nourishing Treatment with Healthy Meals
Drugs and alcohol have harmful effects beyond intoxication and addiction. Excessive alcohol or drug intake hinders the body’s ability to absorb nutrients and expel toxins, de-regulates appetite, interrupts gastrointestinal processes, and alters brain functioning. As your body heals from active addiction, nourishment has a critical role in the recovery.
Caron accommodates each patient’s dietary needs including vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free diets. Additionally, we accommodate personal needs/restrictions associated with food allergies or health issues, food addictions, eating disorders, or specific religious guidelines.
- Caron Pennsylvania: Our culinary team serves up an impressive array of delicious, healthy dishes for each meal in our dining rooms as well as takeout options popular for social distancing.
- Caron Ocean Drive: On-site executive chefs nurture physical recovery with nutritious, exquisite meals. Patients are offered one-on-one orientation meetings with the chef to discuss their specific dietary needs and meal preferences.
- Caron Renaissance: In a community living atmosphere, patients learn and practice valuable life skills like shopping at our onsite grocery store, meal planning, and preparation while growing the confidence and independence they’ll need post-treatment. Patients enjoy friendly cooking competitions and community meals.
Caron provides physical wellness services and recreation to help alleviate the stress, anxiety, and physical discomfort often experienced in early recovery. Research proves that exercise and addiction recovery go hand in hand. Regular physical activity has been shown to reduce stress and diminish cravings by altering brain chemistry and improve symptoms of depression. Our campuses offer a variety of fitness, wellness, and recreation services to help restore a healthy balance of body, mind, and spirit.
Caron Ocean Drive
- Access to on-site personal training sessions, in-home training sessions with workout equipment, and access to an off-site fitness center open exclusively for our patients.
- Acupuncture and massage therapy for optimizing pain management.
- Outdoor recreation such as swimming at our on-site private pool, bike riding throughout the Delray Beach community, running/walking on the beach located within one block of the home, and other fun activities.
- Exclusive access to hair salons and barbers who practice social distancing and COVID-19 safety measures.
- Physical therapy with licensed professionals for chronic pain and mobility
- Fitness training for varying levels of ability and interest—from daily calisthenics and mobility exercises to intense boot camp-style workouts.
- Personalized needs and instruction offered for healthcare professionals.
- Recreational amenities such as an on-site swimming pool, game rooms with skee ball, yard games like badminton, and other activities that help you re-integrate in social settings without using substances and building new endorphins and brain pathways.
- Meditation and yoga for practicing healthy coping mechanisms to manage stress and anxiety, gain self-awareness, and stay centered throughout recovery.
- Fitness and wellness specialists who consult with patients on meeting wellness goals, exercising to decrease physical discomfort of early recovery, and managing chronic pain
- A state-of-the-art fitness center with a full-sized gymnasium, weight training, and exercise studio staffed by experienced instructors.
- Indoor challenge course for adventure-based counseling.
- Yoga, including sessions for trauma-sensitive groups, led by certified, registered instructors.
- Group fitness classes and personalized individual fitness programs to enhance the therapeutic benefits of treatment.
- Off-site activities—hiking, bicycling, camping and indoor rope climbing—led by certified recreational staff members who guide patients in processing experiences afterward.