Legal Professionals Program
This targeted program delves into the issues and concerns specific to legal professionals struggling with addiction, clearing a path to recovery.
At a Glance
A streamlined admissions process
makes getting into treatment as convenient as possible.
Accommodation of specific professional needs
while in treatment means that you can keep up with your responsibilities.
A licensed attorney helps lead
the program along with a specially certified addiction clinician.
Pennsylvania | Florida
Highlights of the Legal Professionals Program
Caron’s Legal Professionals Program is designed for legal professionals, judges, law students, retired lawyers, paralegals, and law school graduates. Our programs are tailored to the specific needs and concerns of legal professionals at Caron in Pennsylvania and Caron Renaissance’s Professional Program in Florida.
Caron’s Legal Professionals team is actively involved in every aspect, from meeting with patients and their families before, during, and after treatment, to managing and overseeing all program components.
A recent national study concluded that addicted attorneys who had attended residential treatment specialized for legal professionals had a higher recovery rate than those who attended typical, non-specialized treatment.
The Legal Professionals Program at Caron includes:
- Pre-admission calls with clinical staff to discuss specifics of the program.
- Accommodation of specific professional needs.
- Coordination with clinical staff for treatment planning.
- Educational materials customized for the legal professional.
- One-on-one meetings with the program staff, either in person, by telephone, or via a web conference (in accordance with COVID-19 safety guidelines).
- Pennsylvania campus: Facilitated legal professionals group meetings, meetings with lawyers in recovery to hear about what works for them in recovery, and presentations by guest speakers on topics related to the legal profession.
- Florida campus: Meetings with lawyers in recovery.
Caron Can Help You Regain Your Life
Clinical excellence and uncompromising patient-centric care mark every component of Caron’s core programming, which includes the Legal Professionals Program. Our focus incorporates overall mental behavioral health, including treatment of co-occurring disorders.
With more than 60 years of history treating substance use disorder and process addictions, Caron emphasizes Recovery for Life, providing you and every patient we treat with lifetime support. We view substance use disorder as a chronic treatable brain disease that requires a long-term management plan.
Overcoming Barriers to Treatment
Caron recognizes that legal professionals often resist typical residential treatment for fear of losing their license or because they do not want to appear vulnerable or admit they need help. Some typical statements we hear include:
- I am not an addict and do not need help from others.
- I can control my substance use. I never use during the day—and it does not affect my job.
- I do not want others to know that I may need help.
- I cannot risk losing my job, my license, or my reputation.
- I'm ashamed and therefore must keep my (substance) use a secret.
- I need to keep working, so I'll do outpatient close to home and go to local AA meetings.
- My practice and reputation will be irreparably harmed if I take the time for residential treatment.
At Caron, we believe it is critical for the family to be part of their loved one’s treatment process so we offer opportunities for participation to family members. Family services are specifically designed to meet family members’ needs as they work toward personal recovery.
Learn more through our Continuing Education Courses.
Our Legal Professionals Program offers continuing legal educational courses to Bar Associations and Lawyer Assistance Programs throughout the United States. Topics presented to the bar include:
- A Profession on Notice: The Ethical and Liability Case For Why Law Firms Must Get Serious About Substance Use (and Actions You Can Take Now!)
- An Impaired Attorney: A Firm’s Duties, Risks and Developing an Action Plan
- Everything You Need to Know About Addiction and Attorneys in Two Hours: Professional, Ethical and Effective Strategies to Confront the Current Crisis
- Enhancing Resilience: A Lawyer's Guide to Successfully Navigating Your Career and Life
- Addiction and Lawyers: The Essentials
- Overcoming Professional Doubts: How Practicing a Recovery Program Will Make You an Even Better Lawyer
- Stress and Anxiety In the Practice of Law
- Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’?: Reigniting Your Professional Passion
- The Brain – From The Lab to the Legal Profession: Lessons in Neuroscience
An experienced attorney and an expert clinician lead the team.
Corey Rabin, Esq., JD
Advisor to the Legal Professionals Program
Florida (Ocean Drive), Florida (Renaissance), Pennsylvania
Eric Webber, MA, CADC, ASAT, CCPG
Senior Clinical Advisor - Grand View and Legal/Executive Professionals Programs
Post-treatment aftercare is centered on your needs as a legal professional.
Evidence-based research shows that long-term recovery is best accomplished with structured support. Your post-treatment continuing care plan includes:
- Ongoing support from our clinical advisor, who is a practicing attorney in recovery.
- Customized recovery, reintegration, and relapse prevention plan.
- Alcohol and drug monitoring upon request.
- Communication established (when authorized) with family, employer, licensing board, or disciplinary board.
- Support and guidance for a full year after discharge through free services including our alumni support activities, recovery support services and the Caron Recovery Network.