Caron’s services for legal professionals are designed for judges, law students, retired lawyers, paralegals, and law school graduates. Our programming is tailored to the specific needs and concerns of legal professionals in treatment at Caron's Pennsylvania campus.
Treatment Services for Legal Professionals
Clinical excellence and uncompromising patient-centric care mark every component of Caron’s programming, which includes treatment services for legal professionals. Our focus incorporates overall mental behavioral health, including treatment of co-occurring disorders.
- Individual and group meetings with the program coordinator focused on patients’ needs
- Back to work/school planning, including a session with employer or school if indicated
- Accommodations for keeping up with professional obligations
At Caron, we believe it is critical for the family to be part of their loved one’s treatment process. Family services are specifically designed to meet family members’ needs as they work toward personal recovery.
Overcoming Barriers to Treatment
Caron recognizes that legal professionals often resist typical residential treatment for fear of losing their license or because they do not want to appear vulnerable or admit they need help. Some typical statements we hear include:
- I am not an addict and do not need help from others.
- I can control my substance use. I never use during the day—and it does not affect my job.
- I do not want others to know that I may need help.
- I cannot risk losing my job, my license, or my reputation.
- I'm ashamed and therefore must keep my substance use a secret.
- I need to keep working, so I'll do outpatient close to home and go to local AA meetings.
- My practice and reputation will be irreparably harmed if I take the time for residential treatment.
Legal Continuing Education Courses
Our Legal Professionals Program offers continuing legal educational (CLE) courses to bar associations and lawyer assistance programs throughout the United States. Topics presented to the bar include:
- A Profession on Notice: The Ethical and Liability Case For Why Law Firms Must Get Serious About Substance Use (and Actions You Can Take Now!)
- Get Serious About Substance Use (and Actions You Can Take Now!)
- An Impaired Attorney: A Firm’s Duties, Risks, and Developing an Action Plan
- Everything You Need to Know About Addiction and Attorneys in Two Hours: Professional, Ethical, and Effective Strategies to Confront the Current Crisis
- Enhancing Resilience: A Lawyer's Guide to Successfully Navigating Your Career and Life
- Addiction and Lawyers: The Essentials
- Overcoming Professional Doubts: How Practicing a Recovery Program Will Make You an Even Better Lawyer
- Stress and Anxiety In the Practice of Law
- Lost That Lovin’ Feelin’?: Reigniting Your Professional Passion
- The Brain – From The Lab to the Legal Profession: Lessons in Neuroscience