The treatment you need. The affirmation and acceptance that matters.
At a Glance
A focus on each patient's
history and experiences enables treatment designed to support healing and recovery.
A safe, all-inclusive and affirming environment
opens space to examine issues such as heterosexism, internalized homophobia, and discrimination.
LGBTQIA+ staff and allies
offer connection, empathy, and support. Many are IITAP-certified as Rainbow Advocate & Educators, making Caron Pennsylvania the first treatment center in the USA with this distinction.
Highlights of LGBTQIA+ Programming
Caron's programming is specifically designed to support individuals who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex, asexual, genderqueer, or non-binary (LGBTQIA+) and their families in need of treatment for substance use disorder.
We're committed to treating the whole person with openness and understanding, knowing that your gender identity and sexual orientation are integral to who you are.
At Caron Pennsylvania, we have a dedicated track for treating individuals and their family of choice through LGBTQIA-specific programming. We are proud to be the first treatment center in the nation to have clinicians certified as LGBTQIA+ affirmative and informed by the International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals (IITAP). At Caron Florida, we provide affirming and accepting services.
- We are committed to cultural competency and provide ongoing training with our clinical team to ensure we meet our commitment.
- Our medical experts understand the LGBTQIA+ community’s unique medical concerns and needs.
- We also coordinate care with local, knowledgeable community providers.
LGBTQIA+ Track at Caron Pennsylvania
Our treatment track supports individuals who identify as LGBTQIA+ and want to participate in the specific activities and groups throughout treatment in a safe and affirming environment, while establishing a new foundation and network for enjoying a future life in recovery.
- Trauma-informed treatment is specifically designed for the issues faced by LGBTQIA+ individuals. The dedicated track is staffed by qualified clinicians certified for LGBTQIA+ affirmative and informed by IITAP.
- Family engagement is critical to treatment success so we invite those you identify as your family of choice to take part in education that enables them to better understand substance use disorder, mental health disorders, and how to best support you in recovery as well as attend to their recovery and emotional health.
- The PRIDE Group is a place for open conversation about joys, achievements, progress, needs, concerns, and struggles and a chance to enjoy company, camaraderie, and shared experiences.
- Family and Relationship Group addresses challenging dynamics in group members’ families of origin, as well as other important relationships. Members discuss how to establish healthy communication and boundaries to support their recovery process.
- Life After Treatment Group focuses on social connections, coping skills, aftercare resources, managing relationships with those who are not in recovery, and challenges in finding recovery meetings and support groups. Group members discuss how best to advocate for themselves and others, whether for privacy, safety, equity, inclusion, or other priorities.
- Spirituality Group focuses on where group members' experiences, negative and positive, with spirituality have led them and the role that inner wisdom plays in their lives, be it a meditative practice, renewal through time in nature, a religious faith, or some other source of strength and renewal.
LGBTQIA+ Affirming Services at Caron Florida
Because the Caron Renaissance treatment model is clinically intensive and focuses on the whole person, you have a safe space to examine the impact of shame, stigma, and heterosexism on your life and relationships, opening a way to healthy self-acceptance. Our emphasis on family treatment also offers an opportunity, when clinically beneficial, for you and your family members to have direct, open, and honest dialogue that can lead to healthier and affirming relationships. Specialized services include:
- Sexual concerns: We offer therapy for patients to address sexually compulsive or sexually anorexic behaviors, high-risk behaviors, and shame-inducing behaviors (which may or may not be related to sexual identity and/or sexual orientation).
- Access to community meetings: You can attend meetings specific to the group(s) you identify with, such as transgender support and LGBTQIA+ 12-Step meetings.
- Access to community events: We coordinate events with community partners such as the PRIDE center in Fort Lauderdale, INSPIRE in West Palm Beach, and Lambda North in Delray Beach.
- Family engagement: We focus on family systems, including family of origin and family of choice. This collaborative therapeutic work enables you and your family members to address core identity issues in a safe and affirming environment.
- Medical care planning: Through our relationships with medical professionals and endocrinologists with expertise in supporting transgender clients, you can seamlessly transition to a skilled community provider who understands your needs.
Specially Qualified for LGBTQIA+ Community
Our staff has clinical expertise, intimate knowledge and/or personal experience with the LGBTQIA+ community as well as those struggling with addiction.
Dr. Phoenix Adams, DSW, MBA, LCSW
Executive Vice President, Florida Programming
Florida (Ocean Drive), Florida (Renaissance)
Cheryl Knepper, LPC, CAADC, CSAT-S, CMAT-S, ATR-BC
Senior Vice President of Clinical Support Services
Caron Pennsylvania Post-Treatment Support
- LGBTQIA+ retreats: During and after treatment, participating in renewal weekends with other current patients and alumni gives you space to relax, enjoy the warmth of being loved simply for who you are, and address recovery-related topics specific to the LGBTQIA+ community and sexual/gender identity.
- PRIDE alumni group: All individuals who identify as members of the LGBTQIA+ community are invited to attend our monthly PRIDE alumni group for support and connection.
- Alumni support services: An active Caron Recovery Community offers a tremendous source of support for enjoying life in recovery and gives you opportunities to support others as well. From specialized support services to gatherings, events, workshops, and support groups, you can draw upon the Caron community’s friendship, expertise, and recovery experience to build a healthy and rewarding life in recovery.
- Breakthrough at Caron: These intensive workshops focus on improving and modifying long-standing relational and emotional patterns, giving you a safe place to explore harmful behaviors and ineffective patterns and begin to develop healthier relationships.
- Continuing care planning: Your plan will include LGBTQIA+-specific resources and recommendations for recovery when you return home.