Caron is committed to providing services for LGBTQIA+ patients and their families. Our commitment encompasses:
- Treating the whole person with openness and understanding, knowing that your gender identity and sexual orientation are integral to who you are
- Ensuring cultural competency and providing ongoing training with our clinical team
- Ensuring that our medical experts understand the LGBTQIA+ community’s unique medical concerns and needs
- Coordinating care with local, knowledgeable community providers
LGBTQIA+ Track at Caron's Pennsylvania Campus
Our treatment track supports individuals who identify as LGBTQIA+ and want to participate in the specific activities and groups throughout treatment in a safe and affirming environment, while establishing a new foundation and network for enjoying a future life in recovery.
- Clinicians certified as LGBTQIA+ affirmative and informed by the International Institute for Trauma and Addiction Professionals (IITAP)
- Trauma-informed treatment specifically designed for the issues faced by LGBTQIA+ individuals.
- The PRIDE Group for open conversation about joys, achievements, progress, needs, concerns, and struggles and a chance to enjoy company, camaraderie, and shared experiences.
- Family and Relationship Group to address challenging dynamics in group members’ families of origin, as well as other important relationships
- Life After Treatment Group to discuss coping skills, aftercare resources, managing relationships with those who are not in recovery, and self-advocacy, as well as other relevant topics
- Spirituality Group to explore both positive and negative experiences with spirituality and the centering practices that can enhance our well-being
- Family education for those you identify as your family of choice
LGBTQIA+ Affirming Services at Caron's Florida Campus
Caron's Florida campus offers safe space to examine the impact of shame, stigma, and heterosexism on your life and relationships, opening a way to healthy self-acceptance.
Our treatment and services include:
- Therapy for patients to address sexually compulsive or sexually anorexic behaviors, high-risk behaviors, and shame-inducing behaviors (which may or may not be related to sexual identity and/or sexual orientation)
- Family treatment that allows you and your family members to have direct, open, and honest dialogue that can lead to healthier and affirming relationships.
- Access to meetings specific to the group(s) you identify with, such as transgender support and LGBTQIA+ 12-Step meetings
- Events with community partners such as the PRIDE center in Fort Lauderdale, INSPIRE in West Palm Beach, and Lambda North in Delray Beach
- Medical care planning through our relationships with medical professionals and endocrinologists with expertise in supporting transgender clients
- Continuing care plans with LGBTQIA+-specific resources and recommendations for recovery when you return home
- LGBTQIA+ retreats with current patients and alumni to relax and address recovery-related topics specific to the LGBTQIA+ community and sexual/gender identity (Pennsylvania)
- Monthly PRIDE alumni group for support and connection (Pennsylvania)
- LGBTQIA+ Breakthrough
- Alumni support activities
Our staff offers clinical expertise and LGBTQIA+ experience to support and treat LGBTQIA+ patients.
Dr. Phoenix Adams, DSW, MBA, LCSW, GC-C
Executive Vice President, Florida Programming
Florida (Ocean Drive), Florida (Renaissance)