Women's Substance Use Disorder Treatment Program
When substance use or mental health issues are taking away what you value the most, Caron can help you regain your life.
At a Glance
Our holistic program
addresses mind, body, and spirit.
A private unit for women and gender-specific programming
gives you a safe and confidential space for healing and peer support.
Connection with women who face similar struggles
provides opportunities to better process and understand your own story.
A safe place
allows you freedom to concentrate on therapeutic work.
Education and support for your family
enables the whole family to recover and move forward.
Highlights of the Women's Program
With so many vital roles that women have, from mother and friend to professional and mentor, it can be difficult to step away to get help for themselves. It can be particularly difficult since women with substance use disorder often feel shame.
In the Women's Program at Caron Pennsylvania, you can learn to let go of the shame and secrecy and concentrate on getting the treatment you need.
Clinical excellence and uncompromising patient-centric care mark every component of Caron’s core programming, which includes the Women’s Program. Our focus incorporates overall mental behavioral health, including treatment of co-occurring disorders.
With more than 60 years of treating substance use disorder and process addictions, Caron emphasizes Recovery for Life, providing you and every patient we treat with lifetime support. We view substance use disorder as a chronic treatable brain disease that requires a long-term management plan.
Women in Treatment
Foundational Treatment Elements
- Thorough assessments: A range of assessments for substance use disorder and mental health, psychological testing, and a complete medical history provide information about your needs, including if there are any co-occurring disorders or other issues.
- Detoxification services: If needed, detox is available under the supervision of an experienced and caring medical team in our state-of-the art medical building.
Treatment and Therapies
- Gender-specific treatment: In female-only groups, you have the privacy and peer support you need to process issues specific to your life, from guilt and shame to stress and anxiety.
- Core counseling: Counselor-led groups address the key issues you face and how to implement healthy lifestyle changes through evidence-based techniques including cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT).
- Specialty groups: These groups provide a safe and supportive circle to address anxiety, body image, parenting, chronic pain, relapse, and grief and loss, among others. Specialized groups for women only address co-occurring disorders – such as trauma, for example – and the substances used with them, like opiates for numbing pain.
- Trauma programming: Designed specifically for women, Caron’s trauma treatment employs evidence-based treatment modalities, including cognitive processing therapy (CPT), eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), and psychoeducational groups.
- Holistic therapies: Attention to spiritual needs and fitness activities that renew and refresh body and soul are all a part of Caron’s treatment plans. A registered dietitian can provide counseling to help you with healthy eating.
Virtual Tour of the Women's Program at Caron
- Continuing care planning: Your treatment team develops a continuing care plan with tools and recommendations for your recovery. Free services like our alumni support activities are also available to support you after you return home.
- Specialized post-treatment programs: My First Year of Recovery and Breakthrough Workshops support your life in recovery as do Caron’s outpatient treatment and recovery centers in Pennsylvania, Atlanta, New York, and Washington, D.C.
Shannon's Story - A Woman in Treatment
Our experienced professionals understand women's needs.
Your multidisciplinary team brings experience, expertise, and compassion to your treatment.
Erin Goodhart, CAADC, CSAT, CCS, LPC, CMAT, ACRPS, CPT Provider
Sr. Clinical Director of Women's Services
Recognizing Relapse Signs & Getting Help
Caron’s transformative relapse treatment designed for women focuses on key themes, including the shame, guilt, and fear many women feel about their ability to be “good enough.” Trauma may also be a factor in relapse. With expert support, women are able to delve into the feelings and experiences that have kept them from a healthy, sustainable recovery.
The core components of Caron’s relapse treatment program are:
Individual and group therapy, including cognitive behavioral therapy that can help you to change distorted thinking patterns.
Mindfulness education, which research shows can significantly reduce relapse and give people an effective way to manage stress, sleep better, and reduce chronic pain.
Treatment for addiction interaction disorders, which can result in relapse when not identified and treated.
Family programming that helps your family members understand how the relapse cycle works and how they can successfully support their loved one and themselves.
An aftercare plan tailored to your needs and the level of support you require to sustain long-term recovery.