The Healthcare Professionals Program provides an intimate setting with the highest level of confidentiality for those in high-risk careers. As patients progress through treatment, they will have the opportunity to attend outside meetings and engage in other activities that prepare them to appropriately balance their recovery with their professional obligations.
In compliance with state monitoring/licensing boards, the program provides four weeks of primary residential treatment, followed by two weeks in Caron’s Partial Hospitalization Program, an on-campus residential sober-living program.
Who We Treat
This program treats professionals actively working in the healthcare field, including:
- MDs and DOs
- Nurse practitioners and physician assistants
- Nurses (RNs, CRNAs, and LPNs)
Treatment Program Details
Caron’s Healthcare Professionals Program provides dedicated, specialized treatment components that address the unique challenges of substance use disorders for licensed healthcare professionals. The program is led by physicians board-certified in addiction medicine, psychiatry, internal medicine, critical care medicine, and anesthesiology. Licensed doctoral-level psychologists and psychiatrists provide services as clinically indicated. Master’s level clinicians provide counseling, education, and guidance.
Group and individual counseling focus on relapse prevention, coping skills, appropriate disclosure, and stress reduction. In addition to individual and group counseling, the Healthcare Professionals Program includes specialty groups that address licensure and work issues, integration back into professional practice, and challenges specific to medical professionals.
- Detox services, if needed, in a state-of-the art medical center staffed by full-time, experienced medical professionals
- A psychosocial assessment that includes an evaluation of addiction and mental health symptoms
- Comprehensive toxicology screenings
- Personalized treatment plan including treatment of co-occurring disorders
Treatment and Therapies
- Individual counseling
- Evidence-based modalities such as dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), cognitive processing therapy (CPT), EMDR, and mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR)
- Specialty groups specific to healthcare professionals focusing on challenges such as returning to work, licensure, and other topics as needed
- A Caduceus Group to deal with professional persona, ease of access to drugs, and the impact addiction has on medical practice and patient care
- A family program with education on substance use and mental health disorders, recovery programs, relapse, and guidance on healthy coping skills, effective boundaries, communication, and self-care
- Age-specific education and counseling for children ages 7-11 and 12-15 through the Youth Education Program
- An individualized continuing care plans that may include professional monitoring programs when appropriate and with patient consent.
- Alumni support activities
- Recovery support services for intensive, short-term recovery and reintegration guidance and assistance (Requires an additional cost)
- My Recovery Connection and Breakthrough at Caron (Requires an additional cost)
- Caron's outpatient treatment centers and regional recovery center for treatment and recovery support services.
Specialties to Shape Your Treatment
- Extended treatment with Caron’s Partial Hospitalization Program
- Corresponding and serving as a liaison with state licensing boards
- Chronic pain treatment that includes medication management, pain management education, holistic therapies, and specialized treatments
- LGBTQIA+ affirming and accepting services
Included as Clinically Needed
- In-depth psychological assessments
- Intensive trauma treatment
- Spiritual groups with individual spiritual counseling
- Medication-assisted treatment
Health and Wellness Services
- State-of-the-art fitness center
- Nutrition counseling as clinically indicated
Experienced clinical and medical professionals lead and staff the program.
Dr. Adam D. Scioli, D.O., DFAPA, FASAM, FAOAAM
Corporate Medical Director and Head of Psychiatry