Trauma Services in Florida
Addiction and trauma are often intertwined. Our integrated treatment plans offer healing and recovery.
At a Glance
Experienced, compassionate trauma-trained therapists
use effective trauma-informed therapies to reduce and eliminate PTSD symptoms.
Our multidisciplinary teams
determine a trauma-informed treatment plan and appropriate length of stay for individualized care, based on thorough assessments and patient readiness.
Highlights of Trauma Services in Florida
While many people associate trauma with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) following a terrifying experience, such as witnessing a fatality or surviving a life-threatening accident, both developmental and relational traumas are more common forms we treat at Caron Renaissance and Caron Ocean Drive.
People who experience chronic, long-term developmental or relational traumas are more likely to dismiss it. When trauma is left untreated over time, it can become debilitating to mental health and often may result in substance use.
With its team of experts in Florida, Caron works with patients to address the long-lasting impacts of their trauma such as disrupted relationships, feelings of emotional instability, and impaired perceptions of themselves.
Relational trauma is caused by the stress from repeated violations of boundaries or psychological/emotional entrapment. Developmental trauma refers to traumatic event(s) from childhood/adolescence that affected a person's development. Developmental and relational trauma include experiences of being bullied, stalked, or harassed, as well as rape, physical, sexual, and/or emotional verbal abuse. Witnessing these events repeatedly over a prolonged period of time can also cause trauma. Separation, unresolved grief, and neglect may also cause trauma that impacts a person’s ability to function. Other experiences that involve a lack of control, feelings of helplessness, betrayal, rejection, and/or repeated violations of boundaries can also result in trauma.
Symptoms of Trauma
People who have experienced trauma may feel:
- An inability to trust self or others.
- A need to be on constant high alert for danger.
- Extreme anxiety.
- Chronic fear.
- Feeling out of control.
- Overwhelming sense of shame.
Treating Trauma and Addiction in Florida
Treatment begins with a comprehensive assessment and psychiatric evaluation. Based upon the assessment and the patients’ readiness, the multidisciplinary team determines a specific treatment plan with therapies to meet their needs, including trauma treatment if indicated. The modalities used at Caron Renaissance to treat trauma include:
- Neuroaffective relational model (NARM) with our NARM-certified therapist addresses relational and developmental trauma and attachment with the attachment patterns that cause psychobiological symptoms and interpersonal difficulties.
- Prolonged exposure therapy is a type of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) that teaches patients to gradually approach trauma-related memories, feelings, and situations in order to decrease symptoms.
- Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT), along with structured grounding and skill-building, which emphasizes the psychosocial aspects of treatment, is used to deal with and decrease the symptoms of trauma the patient experiences.
- Neurofeedback is a brain-based therapy that gives patients a way to regulate dysfunctional activity and reinforce healthy brain function.
Depending on a patient’s needs, the treatment team may also recommend complementary holistic therapies such as:
- Mindfulness meditation.
- Physical activity.
Caron Ocean Drive
The starting point for treatment at Caron Ocean Drive is a thorough assessment and psychiatric evaluation, which are reviewed by our experienced team to develop a treatment plan for each patient’s specific needs, including therapies for trauma as indicated. The modalities used at Caron Ocean Drive to treat trauma include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) uses therapeutic strategies to help change distorted thinking patterns. It has been demonstrated to be effective for a range of problems. Our experienced therapist will work with you to identify the core beliefs and barriers that are blocking your recovery.
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) reduces the impact of the traumatic memories and the emotions associated with them using dual attention bilateral stimulation, which includes finger movements and tapping.
- Narrative therapy incorporates the stories people tell themselves about their experiences as a way to help them identify and harness their own strengths to resolve issues.
- Trauma group therapy provides an intimate setting in an emotionally safe space to process trauma, work on issues such as family of origin and generational themes that affect trauma, and gain validation.
Caron Ocean Drive’s complementary trauma-informed holistic therapy services are also used to help patients who have experienced trauma to reduce its harmful symptoms.
- Acupuncture stimulates the body’s nerves, muscles and connective tissue as a means of treating discomfort associated with chronic pain, detox, and healing from substance use disorders. It promotes wellness and stress management.
- Mindfulness meditation is an effective way to manage stress, sleep better, and reduce chronic pain.
- Therapeutic massage for optimizing pain management, release tension and restore self-awareness.
- Yoga allows patients to practice healthy coping mechanisms to manage stress and anxiety, gain self-awareness, and stay centered throughout recovery
- Breathwork exercises help patients release tension, energize the body, restore sleep, and bring about optimal brainwave states.
- Energy work based on therapeutic techniques from Eastern traditions—including reiki, Thai bodywork, chakra psychology, and kundalini—helps cultivate balance and self-healing.
- Equine therapy is focused on developing skills for patients to build connections, practice new behaviors and mindfulness, and improve self-awareness and self-regulation. Through therapy, they can make positive and lasting changes in their relationships.
- Somatic therapy helps patients identify troubling issues or memories, track sensations and emotions associated with them held in the body, and release them in a safe, slow way.
Our expert, empathetic treatment teams understand the harm trauma causes.
Dr. Anthony Campo, MD, FAPA, FASAM
Florida Medical Director
Florida (Ocean Drive), Florida (Renaissance)