Audience - School and healthcare professionals, with versions for each
Number of Modules: Three
Estimated Completion Time: 60 minutes
Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT) is an evidence-based practice used to identify, reduce, and prevent problematic use, abuse, and dependence on alcohol and illicit drugs. Caron’s SBIRT modules will (1) highlight for school and healthcare professionals various screening tools available to assess for harmful and hazardous substance use patterns, (2) demonstrate motivational interviewing techniques to guide students and patients towards healthy change, and (3) identify resources should further assessment or treatment be needed.
Topics covered include:
- The addiction epidemic
- Addiction as a disease
- What the data shows
- Why we need to care
- Prevention and treatment
- Brief intervention
- Referral to treatment
- School-based studies
Expected Learning Outcomes
After completing the course, participants will be able to:
- Define each step of Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment
- Understand the progressive nature of substance use disorders and the importance of early intervention
- Describe the efficacy of SBIRT as a strategy in addressing harmful and hazardous substance use behavior patterns
- Identify effective screening tools to use with students, patients, and clients
- Utilize motivational interviewing techniques to move people toward positive change during a brief intervention
- Identify appropriate school-based and community resources if a referral for further assessment is necessary
For Certificate of Completion
A printable Certificate of Completion will be provided at the end of the program. This certificate can be displayed, used to apply for continuing education credits, or to document your hours of professional development.
“I would like to thank Caron for the continued support offered to our students and their families. We have been so impressed with the level of support and more specifically the virtual support. We have utilized the training for our interns and have received extremely positive feedback. This training has provided our interns with an advantage in their level of comfort in facilitating group work.“
- School Social Work Supervisor
For More Information
Register to take the School Professionals version
Register for the Healthcare Professionals version
Contact Caron’s Education Department for more information about this course at 610-743-6117.
Download the School Professionals Brochure
Download the Healthcare Professionals Brochure
*New users – Please use the “Sign Up” link on the next page to set a password.
Return to the Digital Learning library
Returning users will be asked to sign-in using your email and previously selected password.