As healthcare professionals with frequent access to families, pediatricians are well positioned to prevent the tragic consequences of teen substance abuse. Over the past 6 years, Caron’s Addiction Counseling Training for Pediatricians has equipped over 350 doctors to spot substance abuse, intervene when necessary and prevent the cycle of youth addiction. Our streamlined pediatric addiction counseling curriculum covers:
- Understanding the causes of addiction
- Recognizing frequently abused substances among teens
- Recognizing the impact of teen alcoholism and addiction
- Approaching addiction in a non-judgmental way
- Recognizing that addiction is a family disease requiring assessment, intervention and treatment for all family members
- Integrating addiction screenings into routine medical assessments
- Understanding the role of pediatricians in substance abuse prevention and treatment
- Safely prescribing highly abused drugs such as benzodiazepines, stimulants and opiates.
- Ethical and
legal issues regarding substance abuse treatment options
- Rising trends in substance abuse
the relationship between mental illness and substance abuse
- Integrating practical addiction treatment strategies into daily practice
Addiction Counseling Training for Pediatricians is a free, 8-hour course offered monthly at Caron’s New York Regional Recovery Center. The program is available to pediatric residents, fellows and physicians. For more information, contact Dr. Harris Stratyner at email@example.com or 800.678.2332 ext. 6190.