Whether you’re the loved one of someone dealing with substance abuse or addiction, or you’re worried about your own substance use, asking the right questions can help you decide whether to seek professional treatment. “Yes” answers to the following questions may indicate abuse or addiction:
- Has drinking and drug use caused relationship problems for the individual?
- Has drinking or drug use caused problems with the individual’s primary responsibilities (work, school, caring for children, etc.)?
- Has the individual ever tried to stop using alcohol or drugs but was unsuccessful?
- Has drinking or drug use caused any legal difficulties?
- Has drinking or drug use caused the individual to show signs of illness (shakiness, vomiting, paranoia, depression, etc.)?
- Does the individual find it difficult to have a good time without using substances?
- Have others expressed concerns about the individual’s alcohol or drug use?