LGBTQ Affirming Services at Caron Pennsylvania
Our specialized care for LGBTQ patients in Pennsylvania includes these components:
- Pride Group: The therapy group discusses topics like coming out, sexuality, relationships, spirituality, heterosexism, family of origin issues, internalized homophobia, sexual trauma, shame, HIV/AIDs, and other LGBTQ concerns.
- LGBTQ Pride luncheons: Get to know and socialize with other LGBTQ patients and staff who identify as LGBTQ or allies during a private lunch.
- 12-Step off-campus LGBTQ AA Meeting: This community-based meeting offers another level of support.
- LGBTQ retreats: During treatment, you are welcome to participate in annual renewal weekends with other current patients and alumni to relax, enjoy the warmth of being loved simply for who you are, and address recovery-related topics specific to the LGBTQ community and sexual/gender identity. For many of our patients, the retreats become a touchstone of their recovery program.
- Family engagement: At Caron, we believe that the family, including those you identify as family of choice, is critical to treatment success. Family services include counseling that enables the whole family to recover and move forward in ways that lead to optimal emotional health for everyone. If you are dealing with rejection from your family because of your sexuality, our therapists can provide counseling for you and any family members you wish to include. Family services also provide loved ones with the information they need to better understand substance use disorder, mental health disorders, and how best to support you in your recovery.
- Continuing care planning: The treatment team collaborates to develop a continuing care plan that includes LGBTQ-specific resources and recommendations for recovery when you return home.
LGBTQ Affirming Services at Caron Renaissance in Florida
In addition to a highly competent clinical team, our medical department understands this community’s unique medical concerns and treatments. We also coordinate care with local, knowledgeable community providers. Because our treatment model is clinically intensive and focuses on the whole person, you have a safe space to examine the impact of shame, stigma, and heterosexism on your life and relationships, exploring / guiding / facilitating the way to healthy self-acceptance. Our emphasis on family treatment also offers an opportunity, when clinically indicated, for you and your family members to have direct, open, and honest dialogue that can lead to healthier and affirming relationships.
- Sexual Concerns Group: Patients are referred to this group to address sexually compulsive or sexually anorectic behaviors, high risk behaviors, shame inducing behaviors, and those may or may not be related to sexual identity and/or sexual orientation.
- Access to Community Meetings: We do provide access to a number of community meetings specific to a variety of populations such as, Trans Support meeting and LGBTQ 12- Step Meetings.
- Access to Community Events: We coordinate events with community partners such as the PRIDE center in Fort Lauderdale, INSPIRE in West Palm Beach, and Lambda North in Delray Beach.
- Family engagement: At Caron Renaissance we focus on family systems work that includes family of origin and family of choice. This work is done collaboratively with both patients and family members in an environment safe to do deep and meaningful work addressing shame and internalized homophobia.
- Continuing care planning: We have community partnerships with medical professionals who have expertise in HIV medications, endocrinologists with expertise in supporting Trans clients, and those who are welcoming of the LGBTQ community. These partnerships become highly relevant when creating continuing care plans. Patients work with skilled clinicians while in the Caron continuum. They are then seamlessly able to transition to a skilled community provider who also understands this community’s unique ongoing needs.