Families don’t have to be Caron alumni to attend a parent or family support Group—all family members 18 years and older are welcome at any meeting location. There is no preregistration or pre-approval needed for a parent to attend any of our parent support groups.
Find a support group near you
What to expect when attending a support group:
- This is not a group led by professional addiction counselors.
- All members support each other.
- Confidentiality is crucial to the support process. What is discussed in the meeting should remain in the meeting.
- The groups provide support to those who have dealt with or are dealing with addiction. They do not judge or give advice.
- The other group members will tell their stories, which are likely to be similar to yours. Their stories and experiences may provide you with new insights into your own recovery. Stories will entail both recovery and relapse.
- The group may encourage you to share your story and seek their help. They help themselves by helping you.
- You will hear and see hope in recovery.
- There may be educational speakers.
After the meeting, there is time to talk to each other. This is a great time to receive individual feedback and support and bond as a recovery community
Other group members will reach out to you.
- Group members will provide phone numbers and emails.
- You will have the opportunity to ask for help. So please ask!
- The group is not a 12-Step meeting; however, the support groups embrace the 12-Step philosophy as many of the members also work a 12-Step program.
- Each meeting is different. It is best to attend a few meetings before you decide if the meeting is a good fit for you.
- You will be offered the opportunity to join a Caron support email list. This will provide you with information regarding Caron events in your local area.
Support Group Resources
Addiction as a Disease
Addiction as a Chronic Disease
Addiction Interaction Disorder
Phases of Parent Recovery
What Parents Say
How to Find 12-Step Meetings
Online Recovery Resources
Family Education Program
The Satell Children and Teen Program
Breakthrough at Caron
My Child is an Addict: A Parent-to-Parent Podcast
Recommended Reading List