Did You Know:
- Parents are the #1 influence on their children’s lives.
- Many teens report they want their parents to talk to them about substance use, but many parents are uncomfortable with starting the conversation.
- Teens consistently identify “disappointing their parents” as a major deterrent of substance use.
Raising children can be challenging. Things become much more complicated and confusing when substance use problems enter the picture. The PREP program provides the essential knowledge, skills, and resources parents and caregivers need to address youth substance use effectively.
The PREP program is for parents, caregivers, and caring adults of children in elementary, middle, and high school.
- Provide information on current youth substance use trends, such as vaping, and the dangers of use to the developing brain and body
- Empower parents and caregivers with effective communication skills when talking with their children about alcohol, nicotine and other drug use
- Review the importance of establishing clear rules and consequences at home regarding substance use
- Evaluate resiliency factors that help protect kids from substance use
- Provide local resources if substance use treatment is needed