National Prevention Week is held each year during the third week of May, near the start of summer. The Summer is a season filled with celebrations and recreational activities where substance use and abuse can happen, such as graduation parties, proms, weddings, sporting events, and outdoor activities. National Prevention Week is timed to allow schools to take part in a prevention-themed event before the school year ends, raising awareness in students of all ages. National Prevention Week is an annual health observance dedicated to increasing public awareness of, and action around, substance abuse and mental health issues. The goals are of Prevention week are to:
* Involve communities in raising awareness of behavioral health issues and implementing prevention strategies.
* To foster partnerships and collaboration with federal agencies and national organizations dedicated to behavioral and public health.
* To promote behavioral health and resources.
Topics for 2017 Prevention Week
• Prevention of Youth Tobacco Use: Monday, May 15
• Prevention of Underage Drinking & Alcohol Misuse: Tuesday, May 16
• Prevention of Prescription & Opioid Drug Misuse: Wednesday, May 17
• Prevention of Illicit Drug Use & Youth Marijuana Use: Thursday, May 18
• Prevention of Suicide: Friday, May 19
• Promotion of Mental Health & Wellness: Saturday, May 20
To learn more about this week visit https://www.samhsa.gov/prevention-week
For more information about bringing Caron SAP services to your school or organization, please contact us or call 610-743-6117.