When Caron’s Adolescent Treatment Center opened in 1990, Caron launched SAP with outreach to schools in Berks County, PA. In 1997, SAP began serving other counties in Pennsylvania and added higher education services one year later. In 2001, the program grew significantly, expanding to Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Maryland, Virginia, and Washington D.C.
In 2006, the SAP team noticed a growing and urgent need to address developmental issues specifically related to teen tobacco use. To address it, Caron launched its own adolescent tobacco cessation curriculum called Project CONNECT®.
In recent years, SAP has spread throughout the U.S., serving institutions in Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Florida. In addition to our work in the United States, Caron has provided training and consultation to schools and agencies in Bermuda, England, and Mexico.
Mission and values.
We recognize that the use of alcohol and other drugs can impede students’ development and prevent them from reaching their full potential. Our mission is to guide students toward healthy and productive living while upholding our core beliefs and values:
- We believe in the importance of educational awareness, assessment, and early intervention in combating the disease of addiction.
- We believe in the importance of the family’s role in educating youth about the negative consequences of drug and alcohol use and in the recovery process.
- We rely on evidence-based practices and are constantly involved in field advancement research.
- We support those who are in recovery.
- We do not believe in scare tactics as a method to keep teens away from drugs and alcohol.
SAP programs and services.
Caron’s SAP offers a variety of programs and services to schools, communities, child-serving organizations, parents, faculty, and professionals, including:
- Education and prevention programming designed to equip students, parents, and community members with the skills and information they need to pursue and encourage healthy living
- Behavioral health assessment, drug and alcohol intervention, and support services for children and teens
- Training that prepares school staff, agency personnel, and community members to implement addiction prevention and healthy living programming and services
At Caron SAP, we customize all programming and services to meet each population’s unique needs. Not only that, our dedicated staff maintain close connections with clients throughout service delivery, evaluation, and follow-up by providing ongoing technical assistance, consultation, and general support.
To discover how your community can benefit from SAP, please call 800-678-2332 ext. 6117 or contact us.