During the residential assessment, we use a variety of comprehensive evaluations and tests to get to know the patient, including:
- Medical history and physical exam done by an addiction medicine physician
- Psychological evaluations, which include an evaluation for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)/trauma response
- Psychiatric evaluations, when clinically warranted
- Neurocognitive screening, when clinically warranted
- Lab studies, including pathology reports from hair and nail samples, to provide comprehensive drug screens
- Family assessments
- Gathering and review of comprehensive collateral information
- Collaboration with referent(s), including family, and, upon request, other appropriate individuals
When completed, these evaluations and tests give the team a comprehensive picture of the individual, including substance use disorder history, physical and psychological conditions, and any co-occurring disorders.
If needed, detoxification — safely ridding the body of drugs or alcohol — can begin during the assessment process. Managed with compassion and medical expertise, Caron’s detox process offers the patient the comfort they need to withdraw safely from substances.