The Medicine, Science & Art Behind Addiction Recovery blog will feature Caron experts and other voices, acting as a forum for all those touched by the disease of addiction and those seeking to learn more
Wernersville, PA – (MARCH 19, 2018) – Caron Treatment Centers, a leading not-for-profit provider of addiction and behavioral healthcare with 60 years in the field, today announced the launch of its new blog, The Medicine, Science & Art Behind Addiction Recovery. The blog will incorporate posts that educate, share information, introduce new ideas, or provide expert commentary on policy and issues of importance. It will feature Caron experts and other compelling voices who want to change the national conversation about addiction and recovery.
One in three households in the U.S. are touched by addiction, known clinically as substance use disorder (SUD). Yet, fewer than 11 percent of the nearly 22 million Americans who meet the criteria for SUD receive the quality and specialized treatment needed to achieve long-term recovery. In large part, this is because addiction is misunderstood, misdiagnosed and mistreated.
“Addiction is a treatable, chronic disease -- similar to diabetes or heart disease,” said Douglas Tieman, president and CEO of Caron Treatment Centers. “But a cancer patient would not be judged for needing chemotherapy, nor a diabetic for insulin, while individuals with SUD are often judged harshly – which prevents many from seeking treatment. This blog is our effort to change people’s perception of addiction, to end the stigma, to champion use of evidence-based treatment programs, to advance research and to empower and provide hope to those in need.”
The Medicine, Science & Art Behind Addiction Recovery blog will cover topics such as:
- The Disease of Addiction -- This section covers addiction as a chronic disease. Understand what drives addictive behavior and how addiction affects the body. Learn the impact it has on families, employers, the economy and society.
- Treatment -- Here we will explore best practices in addiction treatment, driving the whole sector to adopt outcomes and evidence-based standards and practices that improve outcomes. We will also educate patients and their loved ones on picking the best treatment, what to expect, and how to recognize they need help.
- Recovery -- Recovery is a lifelong commitment to managing the illness of addiction. This section embodies the transformative power of recovery with inspiring stories, encouragement, and tips.
- Prevention -- The nation is in an addiction crisis. This section explores what can be done, proactively, to stem the tide of alcohol, opioid and other substance use addictions – including improving funding for accessing care.
- News & Views -- Changes in policy, medicine, science and society all affect our daily lives. This section will keep on top of news and trends, as we share our views on issues that matter.
Contributors to Caron Treatment Center's Medicine, Science & Art Behind Addiction Recovery blog encompass the entire community of people dedicated to helping those suffering from the disease of addiction, including seasoned business leaders, physicians, researchers, therapists, policymakers and former patients and their families. In addition to Tieman, the blog’s initial authors include:
- Dr. Joseph Garbely, Vice President of Medical Services and Medical Director at Caron
- Dr. Dean Drosnes, Associate Medical Director at Caron
- Dr. Michele Pole, Director of Psychology at Caron
- Link Christin, Executive Director of the Legal Professionals Program at Caron
- Tammy Granger, Vice President of Education at Caron
The Medicine, Science & Art Behind Addiction Recovery blog can be found at
About Caron Treatment Centers
With 60 years in the field, Caron Treatment Centers operates lifesaving addiction and behavioral healthcare treatment. Caron is headquartered in Wernersville, Pennsylvania, with Ocean Drive and Caron Renaissance located in Palm Beach County, Florida. Caron has Recovery Centers in New England, Philadelphia and Washington, D.C., which offer community and recovery support. Caron’s Recovery Centers in Atlanta and New York City also offer pre- and post-treatment services. Caron has the most extensive continuum of care including teens, young adults, mid-life adults, older adults, chronic pain, executives, healthcare and legal professionals and families. Caron’s treatment is customized to meet the needs of individuals and families – with highly trained teams prepared to address co-occurring disorders. Caron offers an innovative approach to ongoing recovery care support for its patients and their families with online peer groups and other resources during the first year of transition following discharge. For more information on Caron, please visit Caron at www.caron.org or follow us on Twitter @CaronTreatment.
Caron Treatment Centers
Caron Treatment Centers