Prizes will be awarded to those in three age groups: 13 – 15, 16 - 18, and 19 - 22.
- 1st Prize: $500 Amazon Gift Card
- 2nd Prize: $300 Amazon Gift Card
- 3rd Prize: $150 Amazon Gift Card
- Honorable Mention: $50 Amazon Gift Card
Individuals ages 23+ are welcome to participate in the project by submitting entries for inclusion in program materials, but are not be eligible for prizes.
Winners and their families will be invited to a special celebration event in March 2018.
Contest runs from October 2nd to November 15th, 2017.
This event is sponsored by Berks HOPE (Helping Others/Providing Expertise)
Contest Rules and Information
- Participants must live in Berks County to be eligible to participate.
- Submissions will be judged according to three age groups: (13–15), (16-18), and (19–22).
- Essays should be approximately 500 words and focus on the theme of, “When I Hear Addiction, I See Hope.”
- Deadline for submissions (online or postmarked) is November 15, 2017.
- Entries cannot contain vulgar or inappropriate language.
- Winning entries will be recognized in Berks HOPE press materials.
- Contest entries will not be returned and become the property of Berks HOPE for use in addiction and recovery advocacy efforts. Authors may choose to remain anonymous.
- Entries must include a signed release form. Submissions from minors (under 18) must include the signature of a parent or guardian.
- Winners will be notified by December 13, 2017.
- Judges will include representatives from the Berks HOPE committee and the Berks County community.
- Categories of judging will include:
- Illustrates a sense of hope and adheres to theme
- Communication of feelings/story
- Attention to syntax, grammar, spelling, and punctuation
- Quality of writing (style, clarity, and flow)
- Age groups are (13–15), (16-18), and (19–22), based on age as of submission.
- One 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place, as well as an Honorable Mention prize, will be awarded to in each age group.
- Prizes are: 1st Prize - $500 Amazon Gift Card, 2nd Prize - $300 Amazon Gift Card, 3rd Prize - $150 Amazon Gift Card, and Honorable Mention - $50 Amazon Gift Card.
Click there to submit your entry online
To mail your entry, please click here to download the flyer and release statement
Berks HOPE is a consortium of local and nationally renowned addiction experts and concerned community members dedicated to making the resources for fighting addiction more accessible. Berks HOPE members include the Berks County District Attorney’s Office, Caron Treatment Centers, Common Ground Recovery Ministry, Council on Chemical Abuse (COCA), Easy Does It, Embrace the Challenge, Reading Health System, Treatment Access Services Center Inc. (TASC), Berks County Medical Society and the Reading School District.
Learn more about Berks HOPE and resources available to you