Our research partnerships
In keeping with our commitment to research-based treatment, Caron participates in large-scale studies in order to advance patient outcomes and treatment efficacy. Recent study participation includes:
- Caron is starting a National Institute of Health (NIH) sponsored study in collaboration with Penn State College of Medicine looking at sleep and neuroimaging using Functional Near-Infrared Spectroscopy, (fNIRS). Caron already had two successful fNIRS studies predicting relapse 85% of the time in alcoholics and opioid use disorder patients. As a follow up to this study, Caron is now researching the use of Suvorexant medication as a sleep aid for a substance use disorder population with Penn State. Study may demonstrate a connection to reducing relapse and increasing success through this medication assisted approach.
- In collaboration with National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), Caron is researching how the use of a Ketogenic diet may have an effect on symptoms of alcohol withdrawal and on brain function.
- Caron is conducting one additional study with NIAAA that evaluates inflammatory factors in the brains in individuals with opioid use disorder on Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT).
- Caron is working with Brown University on researching the use of an ambulatory alcohol detoxification program with remote monitoring technology for patients with alcohol use disorder who would otherwise require residential level of care.
- In collaboration with Prescient Medicine, Caron is undergoing an evaluation of patients’ outcomes and progress in treatment for those receiving genetic testing for medication prescription versus patients who do not receive testing.
- Dr. Jonathan Harris, Director of Neurofeedback at Caron is collaborating with Judson Brewer, PhD, MD, Director of Research at the Center for Mindfulness at the Brown
Our Research Partnerships
We consult with leaders in the field of research related to efficacy of treatment and outcomes:
- Robert DuPont, MD – Served as the first director of the National Institute of Drug Abuse and the founder of the Institute for Behavioral Health.
- James R. McKay, Ph.D. – Professor of Psychology in Psychiatry Director, Penn-TRI Center on the Continuum of Care in the Addictions, University of Pennsylvania Director, Center of Excellence in Substance Abuse Treatment and Education
Additionally, Caron’s research department has affiliations with leading medical and academic institutions, which allow us to continually improve and implement new evidence-based practices:
- Penn State Hershey
- Rutgers, State University of New Jersey, Center for Alcohol Studies
- University of Pennsylvania
- University of Southern Mississippi