12-Step Recovery Contact
One of the most crucial services that Caron Treatment Centers provides is connecting newly discharged patients with a 12-Step recovery contact when they return home. This responsibility is an important commitment and helps to bridge the gap between treatment and the 12-Step community. This approach of connecting the recovery community with "newcomers" is often a key ingredient in the success of ongoing, long-term recovery.
The 12-Step Recovery Contact must meet the following criteria:
- Is in recovery from alcohol and/or drug addiction for a minimum of one-year (must be continuous sobriety)
- Regularly attends 12-Step meetings
- Is available to meet the newly discharged patient within 24 to 48 hours upon their return home and can take them to a meeting
- Is available by phone to stay connected with the patient
- Current Caron staff and their family members are not eligible to be a 12-Step Contact
Role of the 12-Step Recovery Contact
The 12-Step Recovery Contact's role is to help the patient by taking them to local 12-Step meetings and introducing them to other recovering individuals. In addition, the 12-Step Recovery Contact can refer patients to local clubhouses, recovery-oriented workshops, support groups and events.
The 12-Step Recovery Contact is asked to call or email Caron's Alumni Office at 800-678-2332, ext. 6145 or email@example.com once they have taken the newly discharged patient to one or more 12-Step meeting(s).
What a 12-Step Recovery Contact is NOT:
- An automatic sponsor
- An automatic best friend
- A substitute for a 12-Step program
- A therapist or case manager
- A chauffer, bank, hotel, legal counsel, financial advisor, job placement/dating agency or source of entertainment